Since virus scanners intervene very deeply in the system, it comes with some applications to problems, if they become scanned. Mostly these problems come with real time CAN to carrying. In order to prevent complications with these applications, most virus scanners leading an exclusion list, in which can be defined, permit which data of the real time scanner to be supervised not to be supposed. Frequent problems step on with:
- Time-critical applications: Since the data become always only scanned, a certain delay develops. For some applications this is too large and it produces error messages and/or malfunctions. Particularly frequently this behavior arises, if on data over a network release one accesses and at this distant computer likewise an anti-virus software runs.
- Data bases (any kind): Since on data bases usually constant accesses takes place and it is often very large, tries the real time scanner, these permanently to scanning. This can lead to Timeout problems, rising system load, damages of the data base up to the complete stop of the respective computer system.
- Mailserver: Many Mailserver store emails MIME or similarly coded on the non removable disk. Many real time scanners can decode these files and remove viruses. Since the email server cannot know anything however of this distance, „“it misses this file, which can likewise lead to malfunctions.
- Parsing: Anti-virus software brings a increased offensive capability by the Parsen of thousand partly unknown formats with itself, therefore anti-virus software increased to the attack goal of aggressors. Frequently virus scanner does not permit it to implement still another second virus scanner parallel.
- False of positive, thus false alarms, which lead with some virus scanners to a deletion, renaming etc. and partly only very with difficulty to be turned off are. After a back renaming the program “recognizes” this file again and designates it.